Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Katie is 3!

Katie's birthday was today. We actually celebrated yesterday, because Brian had to be in Idaho today, but I'm posting today because things have been busy:)

I must say, even though I love my boys dearly, and wouldn't wish for them to be girls, that this was the most fun I have ever had during any one of my kids' birthdays. After three boys, I have a girl that loves pink and princesses and shoes. On Sunday, when we told Katie it was almost her birthday, she asked, "My pink birthday?" She wanted everything to be pink, especially the cake. Whenever somebody mentioned her birthday, she always talked about her pink cake. Yes, I made one for her, but I'll get to that later.

Her birthday really started after all the boys left for school. Katie's favorite princess movie, for the moment, is Snow White. She asks to watch it every morning, and her birthday was no different. We popped the movie in, and I gave her a Snow White dress up dress that my SIL, Julie, had passed on to me. Katie was in HEAVEN! We found her pink dress up shoes to go with it. I had also gotten her a little light up crown, and she was so happy to be a princess! She really gets into it when she plays make believe, and I had to end everything I said to her with "Snow White." She told me that I turned into Katie, and so we roll played that for a while.

Then onto the next activity. I had never painted her nails before, and I thought this was the perfect time to start. She was very good at being still and blowing on her nails while the others were getting done. Then she wanted to paint mine. I must say, she did an amazing job for a three year old!


After we were all "glammed" up, we sat and watched Snow White until Jacob got home. He was a little envious that Katie got to dress up, so he asked if he could get out the costume box. He and Katie had a blast trying on all the costumes. Katie discovered Eli's old dragon costume that was a few sizes too big for her, but she made it work:) Then we were on to making the cake. I decided to do chocolate with a pink vanilla frosting. Katie and Jacob both helped lick the cake batter off the beaters. Katie got it all over her pink princess shirt. After that was lunch time, then Daddy got home and took Katie out for ice cream while the rest of us decorated and wrapped presents. I must say, usually I HATE decorating, so I usually leave it to the boys. But, this time, I had a lot of fun. We had pink balloons and pink streamers all over the family room. Emily had a good time chasing after the balloons as best she could. We still hadn't finished by the time Brian and Katie got home, because it took me FOREVER to get a nut off her new bike so I could put training wheels on it. So, because we weren't done, Brian took Katie to the park down the street so we could finish her surprise. She had a great time and Brian did an amazing job of taking lots of pictures for me! Thank you, Honey!








When they got back, I was in the middle of making frosting for her cake. I made it nice and pink! Katie loved all the pink decorations and was so excited it was finally time for her "party." She did have to wait until I frosted the cake, but she was content to lick the beater while she was waiting. The problem with the cake, though, is that the two rounds rose up pretty high in the middle. If I was smart, I would have cut some off to make it more even, but I was too excited for Katie to open her presents, that I just slapped on the frosting as fast as I could. Well, the cake was so uneven, that it kept falling over. I got it to stay, sorta, and so we were off to do presents! With Brian being out of work since August, money was pretty tight for this birthday, but I found some really great deals at some garage sales. The items were, of course, used, but she didn't notice. Besides, even if I had bought them new, they would have looked "used" in a matter of days anyway:)


Well, she tore right in to the presents. It only took her a few minutes:) The boys each got her something, and she loved it all! Her favorite at that point was Ethan's gift. He got her a large set of play food she could use with her kitchen. All the kids stayed up and played with it. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. After she was done opening all the presents, she had to cover her eyes for the next one. Daddy had to help.

Ethan went into the office and brought out the bike. The bike was one of the things I got at a garage sale, and it had a basket on the front that I was able to tie some ribbon onto and make even more girlie:) As soon as Katie saw the bike she let out a squeal and yelled, "My Bike!" She hopped right on. Ethan had to push her, because the carpet was too thick to ride on. Of course, we had to take her outside immediately so she could try it out. She did really well for a beginner. Brian only had to push her occasionally when her feet would get confused and start pedaling the wrong way:) She wanted to stay out longer, but we still needed to eat dinner and do cake and ice cream. She got more time today, though and rode around with no problem. She loved following the boys around in the street.




After a very healthy dinner of pizza and root beer, Katie was ready for her pink cake. Katie had picked out sparkly candles and Brian found a #3 candle at the last minute. Katie even sang along to her own birthday song. She gave one little blow, and after that didn't do the trick, Brian "helped." The big dummy. He just doesn't get the fact that watching kids try to blow out the candles is one of the best things about birthdays! Just goes to show how much work I still have ahead of me to get him "trained" right:) The boys were all very good sports in being willing to eat off of princess plates:) Eli was surprised the frosting tasted good. My kids have no faith in me, even though I only serve them home made frosting. I never buy canned. Maybe it was the pink part of it throwing him off:)





After cake, all the kids played "restaurant" with the fake food until bedtime. Katie got to stay up extra late, so she could have a little more time with her new toys.
All in all, it was the best birthday ever! I am having so much fun having a daughter! I am totally encouraging her being a girlie girl:) I remember being pregnant with her and being terrified of having a girl; especially a girlie girl. I never was, so I wasn't sure I would know what to do with one. Well, I am happy to report, I am figuring it out fast and am having a ball doing it!

Happy Birthday, my sweet Katie! I love you so much! Thank you for the opportunity of being your mommy.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Sooooo cute! What a doll! Girls really are a lot of fun. It brings out the girlie side in us all.

Alicia Ann said...

I have two girlie girls and except for the fact they are so entertaining because they are so girlie, I would go crazy. They make such a big deal out of EVERYTHING! I don't know how you can find it fun. :) Boys are so much easier and I only have one. My SIL borrows them from time to time to go shopping. Are ya kidding me? Katie looks super cute! Happy birthday!