Thursday, November 6, 2008

Potty training

Ok...I am now into my SECOND round of potty training Katie. She WAS fully potty trained before we moved here, but as soon as we got here, that all went out the window. I was so hoping that this would be the one baby (besides Ethan) where I would only have one in diapers. Oh, well.

Katie was very easy to potty train the first time. She just suddenly wanted to do it, and she got the hang of it really quickly. THIS time around, though, is like pulling teeth. She has wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with potty training. She is perfectly happy walking around in a dirty diaper. She has been a little jealous of Emily, so that doesn't help. Katie is wanting to be a baby also, and babies wear diapers. Katie didn't even want to pee for M&M's, her favorite candy. Usually she would do ANYTHING for some, but not this time. So, we've been at it for a couple of weeks now, and 'm getting worn out.

Lucky for me, my SIL, Julie, came to my rescue. She reminded me of a trick I used with Jacob that I had completely forgotten about. Amazing, the things you forget, like just how many diapers a newborn goes through. Anyway, with Jacob I kept a small thing of silly putty in the bathroom. Jacob was only allowed to play with it when he was going potty, and it worked like a charm! So, I picked some up yesterday, and Katie had been dry ever since! (she's pooped once, but that will come later) I can't believe I had forgotten this trick. Katie loves the silly putty. She calls it play-doh (she calls play-doh tomatoes) So, she loves to go play with her "tomato" and pee. I sure hope she continues to do this and the novelty doesn't wear off too quickly. We just can't afford those expensive diapers anymore! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally feel for you! We are making slow progress with Brooklyn, but I'm not sure how long it will take her to decide going on the potty is a good idea. Until then she runs around the house naked from the waste down, and I keep her confined to the immediate area so I can keep an eye on her.

Alicia Ann said...

This cracks me up! Daelyn was the same only she was poop trained. We tried everything to get her to pee in the toilet. She really wanted to do ballet, but you had to be potty trained. We told her she couldn't do ballet until she went pee in the toilet. Her reply "Well I guess I'll just be a really old ballerina." Where do they get this stuff?