

Here's a cute one of Brian and Emily

Ethan hiked up to a higher point than anybody and wanted to show he was King of The Mountain. I really had to zoom in with the camera just to get his picture.

Here's where the title of this post comes into play.
When you are out in the country, where wild animals roam, there is a good possibility of finding bones. For most of the hike, Ethan was finding random bones here and there. I can deal with the occasional leg or jaw bone. What Eli found kinda grossed me out. We had hit a bend in the road. The boys had run up ahead around the bend out of sight of Brian and I. When we came around the bend, out boys were holding up and entire ribcage. We were still a good 50 ft. away, so we called to them and asked what it was. Ethan and Eli both answered at the same time that it was a cow. The Eli adds "Or possibly a lion." I couldn't stop laughing. He was dead serious. I have to say, the fur on the carcass was a golden brown; much like the color of a lion, so I could see where he would get that idea:) Anyway, Eli had found almost the entire carcass of a cow. There was even a big section that still had fur on it. They were in HEAVEN.

Gross, huh?
On to the more pleasant parts of the hike. Jacob found a great walking stick and wanted me to take a picture of him with it.

With everybody asking to get their pictures taken, Emily was not about to be left out. She walked right up to me and said "Cheese!" Of course, I had to take her picture.

Along the way, Eli found a fossil of a leaf in one of the rocks he was climbing. It's hard to see in the picture, but trust me, it's there.

Brian found the next cave. The hike up to that one just about killed me. I carried Emily the whole way up. That girl is dang heavy!





By the time we had reached the second cave, we had hiked about a mile. The hike was just a gradual incline, but after a mile, we had gotten pretty high. The view was very pretty, and since I am a picture taking fiend, I had to get pictures of my family with it. There are very few pictures of me, since I am usually behind the camera, so I figured I had better get some evidence that I was on this hike.


Also, while we were at the second cave, Ethan found a tiny lizard. My kids have really good eyes!

On the way back down the mountain, Eli found a ledge to climb up to.


All in all, it turned out to be a great day, even if I had to be a naughty mom and pull my kids out of school to do it. We got to spend some much needed family time together. I think I might just have to be a naughty mom again sometime:)

1 comment:
What an awesome day! Good for you! I'm sure the kids got a much better education that day than the classroom could have provided anyway.
Post a Comment